[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Recursor on multiple IPs within one machine

Anton plutoway at gmail.com
Sat May 9 13:01:40 UTC 2015

I am testing PowerDNS Recursor with adns resolver. It has adnshost command to
check A records.

My machine is
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8x3.40GHz)
Ram is 16 Gb

Async method of adns gives very very poor unstable results.
For example, if we check 100.000+ domain names of .pro domain zone handling
5000 domains by one request, the result will be very unstable and
unpredictable. Up to 90% of existing domains could not be recognized. With
250 domains by one async request it works much slower than it could work in
sync requests with same number of threads.

If we use adnshost in "domain by domain" mode it gives rather complete
result of exisiting A records.

I have also used 120.000.000+ domain names list of .com .net .org .info and
other zones to go through .co.uk zone with different number of threads to
find optimal number of threads.

With 1000 threads it will be 12-13 Mb of A records results.
With 250 threads it will be up to 200 Mb of A records results.

So I want to understand what is it.
Currently in my tests it looks like root servers could cut some abnormal
connections from one IP address.

On other hand, 1000 threads works rather good on combined list of really
existing domains like .com .org .net zones etc.
250 threads also works good but, of course, it is slower.