[Pdns-users] Records going missing in 3.4.4

bert hubert bert.hubert at powerdns.com
Fri May 1 18:50:32 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 11:13:22AM -0700, Mark Moseley wrote:
> Of all the things I cleaned up, one thing I *didn't* clean up a lot of
> records with trailing dots in the content field (for NS/MX/CNAME records).

This could easily confuse things. If PowerDNS chases a CNAME and it
encounters a trailing dot, it tries to look that one up in the database. If
it then does not find that, it could turn the whole packet into an NXDOMAIN
and cache that.

Same thing with NS records and delegations etc.

The query-cache might conceivably also cache lacking records with a trailing
dot, but unsure.

I'd suggest cleaning up all those trailing dots and seeing what happens. If
the problem persists we could spend more time on it.

> We're in the middle of a big cleanup to eradicate these trailing dots and
> are back on 3.4.2 for the time being till we can get it done. But I was
> curious if a) this was a known issue; or b) anyone's seen it before, since
> the trailing dots part could be a red herring.

I have seen lots of weirdness with trailing dots, and above you can find one
scenario where you could get an NXDOMAIN.

	Bert