[Pdns-users] Allow recursion on only one IP

ggiesen+powerdns at giesen.me ggiesen+powerdns at giesen.me
Sun May 10 05:05:19 UTC 2015

I'm currently planning a project to split recursion from authoritative DNS
(they currently reside on the same IP).

As part of the project, I'd like to set up a second IP for PowerDNS to
listen on (which will be the IP for the authoritative server; the recursive
server will remain on the existing IP). The transition strategy is that IP
#1 (the existing IP) will answer both recursive and authoritative queries
until such time as all the domains have been migrated to use the new IP #2.
IP#2 will answer only authoritative queries.

However I've run into a snag. I can't find any way to have PowerDNS answer
recursion queries on only the IP #1 (I can only limit what IPs the queries
come from, but not to). Am I missing something, is there a way to do what
I'm looking to do? Or is the only solution to run separate instances of pdns
(with separate config files both connecting to the same backend).

Cheers,

GTG