[Pdns-users] Configure private subdomain

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Mar 4 18:17:17 UTC 2015

Nikolaos Milas wrote:
> On 3/3/2015 2:44 μμ, Nikolaos Milas wrote:
>
>> Ideally, we would like pdns to be configured to reply to requests *for
>> particular names* (under a specific subdomain, say internal.example.com) by
>> only providing AAAA records (if available, otherwise no results) and hide A
>> records.
>>
>> This way we could specify (for names under a specific domain), "A" records
>> which will contain a Private IP Address, so as to  not be visible to the
>> Internet but only locally.
>
> Corrections/Clarifications:
>
> Ideally, we would like pdns to be configured to reply to requests *for
> particular names* (under a specific subdomain, say internal.example.com) by
> only providing AAAA records (if available, otherwise no results) and hide A
> records to all requests, except to those from our own networks (as would be
> configured), to which full replies would be provided.
>
> This way we could specify (for names under a specific domain), "A" records
> which will contain a Private IP Address, so as to  not be visible to the
> Internet but only locally (to our own networks, which would be specified
> explicitly).

This sounds a bit like a special case for split horizon DNS.

I promised to configure a demo using powerdns with LDAP backend for this based
on OpenLDAP ACLs and several powerdns instances using different LDAP identities.

Feel free to come here and ask whether I managed to get it working in time:
https://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2015/en/programm/beitrag/134

Ciao, Michael.