[Pdns-users] Don't return dereferenced CNAMEs

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at powerdns.com
Tue Jun 9 08:20:39 UTC 2015

Hello Mark,

On 8 Jun 2015, at 23:51, Mark Moseley wrote:

> I'm curious if there's a setting to tell powerdns not to be helpful
> and
> return the dereferenced CNAME.

No - truncating alias chains is wrong and can cause resolution failures
in conforming resolvers.

> The reasons for why it'd happen in our setup are annoying and I don't
> want
> to go into it :)

Please do try to explain, it is the only way we can help!

> I've tried setting out-of-zone-additional-processing to 'no' but that
> doesn't seem to change anything.

Additional processing is, indeed, not about CNAMEs, but about adding
A/AAAA records to the ADDITIONAL section of the response, for MX records
for example.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk