[Pdns-users] Don't return dereferenced CNAMEs

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 21:51:13 UTC 2015

I'm curious if there's a setting to tell powerdns not to be helpful and
return the dereferenced CNAME.

That is, if I look up a given record and it's a CNAME that then points to
an A record, don't try to then *also* return a lookup of the A record along
with the CNAME.

The reasons for why it'd happen in our setup are annoying and I don't want
to go into it :)

I've tried setting out-of-zone-additional-processing to 'no' but that
doesn't seem to change anything.

It doesn't to break anything (and presumably a resolver that paid attention
to these records would be subject to cache poisoning). But it's kind of
weird and could be confusing to people looking at manual lookups.