[Pdns-users] PDNS 3.x with PDNS 2.9.x Database Schema

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 16:48:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Gabriel Marais <gabriel.j.marais at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> Seems like I have hit a brick wall. I have PowerDNS 2.9.x running as
> master and 2 slaves. I am busy moving over to Ubuntu 14.x on newly
> installed servers and as such I ended up with PowerDNS 3.x which is not
> compatible with the older 2.9 schema on MySQL.
>
> I have read in a thread that one could use custom queries to overcome the
> immediate issue of moving a complete DNS implementation over to the version
> 3.x schema but I cannot seem to find the custom queries to overcome the
> issue from my log :-
>
> Jul 22 01:17:46 hubble pdns[2006]: Backend error: Failed to execute
> mysql_query, perhaps connection died? Err=1: Unknown column 'auth' in
> 'field list'
>
> Ultimately, I would like to move over to PowerDNS 3.x but right now I need
> to get another 'slave' working which is sitting on PowerDNS 3.x to work
> with my 2.9 master and database schema.
>
> Can anyone perhaps point me in the right direction with the custom queries
> to accommodate the missing "auth" column in the new DB schema?

I limped by for a little while with these queries, in the middle of a
2.9.x->3.x upgrade. It's been long enough now that I couldn't tell you what
negative side effects it had, but I do remember that AXFR's did *NOT* work
with the below queries. IIRC with this setup, AXFRs will actually cause a
restart of pdns, so you'd want to get off of it pretty quick.

# Use old queries till we get schema updated
gmysql-basic-query=SELECT content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name FROM records
WHERE type='%s' and name='%s'
gmysql-any-id-query=SELECT content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name FROM
records WHERE name='%s' and domain_id=%d
gmysql-list-query=SELECT content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name FROM records
WHERE 0=%d and domain_id='%d' order by name, type

At the same time, the 2.9.x boxes might work just fine (but you'd obviously
want to test first) with the 3.x schema, though I'm assuming you're doing
mysql replication.