[Pdns-users] How to add master zone through PowerDNS API?

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 17:30:43 UTC 2015

> but why exactly is zone templates something which you guys politely
> call useless?

OK, maybe I ought to apologize for my tone, so I apologize.

If you're going to use an API, it seems natural (to me at least) that
you'll be creating an application of sorts to leverage that API to
create, populate, delete, and otherwise manipulate zones. In that
application you would ensure all basic records and settings for a zone
are properly defined (I assume this is what you're referring to as a
'template').

As others have said, templates are non-standard and can be defined only
by the infrastructure which creates zones. It may well be that it would
be nice to have something akin to "please include the records in this
file when creating a zone", but this is precisely what the wrapping
application should do.

        -JP