[Pdns-users] How to add master zone through PowerDNS API?

Melvin Mughal melvin at mughal.nu
Fri Feb 27 16:10:08 UTC 2015

I'm not a DNS expert, but why exactly is zone templates something which you
guys politely call useless? In our perspective, it seems efficient and
clean when:

1. You need to import a lot of zones (in our case more than 50k). Just
adding a template attribute to the API call makes it a bit more easy. Now
I'm explaining to devs what goes where and why, instead of just giving a
more straight forward call.
2. You have several parties using your DNS API and the administrator can
set a fixed template so records are filled in a certain way with required
values by the administrator. We work with different parties an different
requirements. Gives a bit more control.
3. Less error prone if multiple devs are working with it within different
implementations and don't have any knowledge about nameservers and how to
set things properly. Again explaining stuff to devs where these things
aren't within their primary focus.

I can guess the counter argument already: just give the damn API example
and be done with it. But I'd rather explain why this seems useful in our
perspective to keep the topic constructive instead of calling things
'utterly useless' by some without giving any real arguments.