[Pdns-users] Long TXT record

Gabriele Nencioni gabriele.nencioni at register.it
Wed Aug 5 06:58:14 UTC 2015

Hi,
I know that this topic is already discussed on the ml (and I have just
read the related posts), but I have a doubt about my pdns version.

So... I have a PowerDNS Authoritative Server version 2.9.22 configured
with a mysql backend version 5.1.61 where the records structure table is
the following:

Table: records
Create Table: CREATE TABLE `records` (
   `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
   `domain_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
   `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
   `type` varchar(6) NOT NULL,
   `content` varchar(255) NOT NULL,
   `ttl` int(11) NOT NULL,
   `prio` int(11) DEFAULT NULL,
   `change_date` int(11) DEFAULT NULL,
   PRIMARY KEY (`id`),
   KEY `nametype_index` (`name`,`type`),
   KEY `domain_id` (`domain_id`)
) ENGINE=InnoDB AUTO_INCREMENT=37680801 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

My question is:
is it possible perform an alter table to change the column field in a
varchar(64000) in order to insert a TXT record longer than 255 bytes?
If so, can pdns serve the long TXT records (after tha operation)?
If so, how will pdns serve the long records, splitting them?

I saw that it is already so with the latest pdns version, but I don't
know if it is possible with the 2.9.22 version.

Thanks in advance
Regards,

--
Gabriele Nencioni