[Pdns-users] recursing for records which are missing from authoritative zones

Nicholas Williams nicholas at nicholaswilliams.net
Wed Apr 29 15:44:28 UTC 2015

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm no PDNS Recursor expert. But I believe
you would want to set this up like this:

- Create a PDNS Authoritative server running on a different IP address
(ideal) or different port (not 100% sure this can work). Make it
authoritative for the zones you want served locally.
- Create a PDNS Recursor server running on the IP address you want your
users querying and port 53. Set up forward-zone settings in the recursor
setting file to tell it to forward requests for the zones you want to your
authoritative server on the different IP address.

Using this setup, you could even run them on the same machine, as long as
that machine had two IP addresses or you could use a different port. An
option might be to bind the authoritative server to the loopback IP address
(127.0.0.1) and the recursor to the non-loopback IP address.