[Pdns-users] recursing for records which are missing from authoritative zones

Kiki kixx.tm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:22:02 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I want to setup a NS to "shadow" a zone on an internal LAN. Basically to
add private records for the machines on the LAN to an otherwise public zone.

According to https://doc.powerdns.com/md/authoritative/recursion/ even if
the NS thinks it's authoritative for a domain it should still consult the
recursor for an recursive query if the record is not found in the database.

I have set both an "allow-recursion" and "recursor" option and it works for
queries for which are not considered authoritative like google.com, but I
get NXDOMAIN for queries for the "shadowed" zone which are not in the local
database

It seems like "lazy-recursion" was the option which would do that but it's
been removed. The docs also mention "allow-recursion-override" which is
also not available anymore

What am I missing? Should I downgrade to an earlier version?

PowerDNS version: 3.4.3 w/ gmysql backend
OS: CentOS 7

Thanks,