[Pdns-users] Please test: ALIAS/ANAME apex record in PowerDNS

Aki Tuomi cmouse at youzen.ext.b2.fi
Mon Sep 22 07:06:46 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 12:54:07PM +0200, bert hubert wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Finally, for TTL, we currently use what the resolver gave us. But perhaps we
> could use the TTL of the ALIAS record instead, or as a maximum? Or minimum?
>
> Please let us know your thoughts based on the semantics outlined above.
> Would this work for you? Do you miss anything? Is there a need for multiple
> ALIAS statements for load balancing? Are we needlessly incompatible with
> existing implementations? Is there standardization work we could align
> against?

I don't think you should worry about load balancers, people can point the
ALIAS record towards such name that resolves into multiple RRs or some geo
based record generator.

The thing I do worry about is that the ALIAS record can be quite confusing,
should it be resolved by the recursor instead or auth? I don't find the fact
that auth server "hides" the ALIAS record by doing internal lookup to recover
the real record.

From your example

if I do

  dig a example.com

do I get (as the current implementation says I do)

  example.com IN A 1.2.3.4

or

  example.com IN ALIAS someotherhost.someotherdomain.com
  someotherhost.someotherdomain.com IN A 1.2.3.4

or perhaps just

  example.com IN ALIAS someotherhost.someotherdomain.com

Perhaps it should return the middle one to indicate such magic happening?

Aki