[Pdns-users] TCP nameserver error with pipe backend

Aki Tuomi cmouse at youzen.ext.b2.fi
Mon Sep 1 11:13:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 02:08:55PM +0300, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 12:02:26PM +0200, Gabriele Nencioni wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am using PowerDNS with PipeBackend on a Linux machine.
> > The Backend is a perl script (attachment), very similar to the provided one.
> >
> > Now when I am running TCP query the server is responding each second
> > time only while during the first one I get always the following
> > error:
> >
> > Aug 28 14:54:36 vm16 pdns[16924]: TCP nameserver had error, cycling
> > backend: Unable to ascertain status of coprocess 16853 from 16924:
> > No child processes
> >

> Can you show your script? It sounds like it dies after each message. Normally pipe
> backend scripts look like
>
>  while(<>) {
>  }
>
> Aki Tuomi

And after opening my eyes properly i notice you had already attached the script and
it looks just fine.

Yet the problem seems to be that your script dies. Or that you are running SELinux or
AppArmor which denies you from seeing the child processes for some reason.

do you have anything in 'dmesg' or /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog that would
explain this?

Aki