[Pdns-users] New recursor install, 50% timeout on first run

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Mon Oct 13 13:37:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 10:10:43AM -0300, Ciro Iriarte wrote:
> Hi!, I'm running some quick tests on a new Recursor (3.6.1) and I see
> ~ 50% query timeouts. It has a good Internet connection but no clients
> yet, can this be caused by empty cache?.

Yes, on a cold cache, nameservers are a lot slower.

You can improve on this by increasing the number of mthreads (max-mthreads)
and the number of file descriptors.

The best performance comes from a busy nameserver, as outlined on
http://blog.netherlabs.nl/test/

That your second time results were worse is weird, can you do a test with
more than 1000 domains, say, 50000?

Can you report "rec_control get-all" before and after a run?

Perhaps your PowerDNS server is behind NAT and your other server isn't?

	Bert