[Pdns-users] "GSQLBackend unable to list metadata" with dnssec disabled?

Oli Schacher pdns at lists.wgwh.ch
Tue Nov 4 12:57:43 UTC 2014

Hi

I have  a strange issue with one of my auth servers. I'm using the
gmysql backend with custom table names (powerdns has to query a
database where the table 'domains' is used for a different purpose, so
all pdns tables have a "pdns_" prefix)

This is the full config file:

#####
cat /etc/pdns/pdns.conf
launch=gmysql
gmysql-host=<munged>
gmysql-user=<munged>
gmysql-password=<munged>
gmysql-dbname=<munged>
gmysql-basic-query=select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from pdns_records where type='%s' and name='%s'
gmysql-id-query=select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from pdns_records where type='%s' and name='%s' and domain_id=%d
gmysql-any-query=select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from pdns_records where name='%s'
gmysql-any-id-query=select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from pdns_records where name='%s' and domain_id=%d
gmysql-list-query=select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from pdns_records where domain_id=%d
#####

On one server, this causes the following error:
Backend reported permanent error which prevented lookup (GSQLBackend unable to list metadata: Failed to execute mysql_query, perhaps connection died? Err=1: SELECT command denied to user '<munged>'@'<munged>' for table 'domains'), aborting
Backend error: GSQLBackend unable to list metadata: Failed to execute mysql_query, perhaps connection died? Err=1: SELECT command denied to user '<munged>'@'<munged>' for table 'domains'

Why is powerdns trying to query the metadata? From the documentation I
was assuming that this should only happen if dnssec is enabled, but it
isn't:
>>pdns_control current-config | grep dnssec
# gmysql-dnssec Enable DNSSEC processing
gmysql-dnssec=no

I'm using exactly the same config on two different servers (the only
difference is gmysql-host= ), and I don't get this error on those. All
servers run centos 6.6 and powerdns auth server 3.4.1 with the mysql
backend from https://www.monshouwer.eu/download/3rd_party/pdns

I'm obviously missing a difference on the server with the error - can
somebody clue-bat me in the right direction?

Thanks
Oli

--
message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons