[Pdns-users] PowerDNS behind NAT

Paul Roland paul.roland at cc.btn.ro
Mon May 26 08:47:06 UTC 2014

Hello I am having huge issues with PowerDNS behind NAT, works fine if I query it locally or via the network however if the port if forwarded for some reasons it times out.
I checked with tcpdump and the packets are indeed reaching the box inside the NAT, but powerdns is not properly responding, no udp or tcp response.

The firewall line is iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p udp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.64.0.10:53 and iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -p tcp --dport 53 -j DNAT --to 10.64.0.10:53

I must mention that I have several other services in the network that are working fine , both tcp and udp, so I must believe it has something to do with PowerDNS itself. This is PowerDNS Authoritative Server 3.3.1  Using 64-bits mode. Built on 20131217194128 by mockbuild@, gcc 4.4.7 20120313 (Red Hat 4.4.7-4).