[Pdns-users] Oracle backed slave zone nameserver problem.

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Thu Mar 27 12:57:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 09:10:19AM +0200, Margus Kiting wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I noticed in oracle backed schema SQL, there isn't any master nameserver
> column available in Zones table. I can specify zone type, but not master
> name server if type is set to slave.
> I also tried looking in source code, but could not figure out where slave
> zones master nameserver should go. I believe zone type check is done in
> oraclebackend.cc in code given below.
>
> check_indicator(mResultTypeInd, false);
>   if (strcasecmp(mResultType, "NATIVE") == 0) {
>     di.kind = DomainInfo::Native;
>   } else if (strcasecmp(mResultType, "MASTER") == 0) {
>     di.kind = DomainInfo::Master;
>     check_indicator(notified_serial_ind, false);
>     di.notified_serial = notified_serial;
>   } else if (strcasecmp(mResultType, "SLAVE") == 0) {
>     di.kind = DomainInfo::Slave;
>     check_indicator(last_check_ind, true);
>     di.last_check = last_check;
>     di.masters = getDomainMasters(mResultName, zone_id);
>   } else {
>     throw OracleException("Unknown zone type in Oracle backend");
>   }
>
> I also did not find any information about this in powerdns documentation.
>
> Could you nice people help me with the problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Margus Kiting

Hi Margus,

According to the documentation:

http://doc.powerdns.com/html/oracle.html

Here is an excerpt from the docs about the queries pertaining to the zone masters:

oracle-zone-masters-query
Return a list of masters for the zone specified by id. Default:

SELECT master
FROM Zonemasters
WHERE zone_id = :zoneid

oracle-is-zone-master-query
Return a row if the specified host is a registered master for the named zone. Default:

SELECT zm.master
FROM Zones z JOIN Zonemasters zm ON z.id = zm.zone_id
WHERE z.name = lower(:name) AND zm.master = :master

Check out the schema definition, it should use the zonemasters table.

Regards,
Ken