[Pdns-users] Recursion with authoritative server and subdomains

Matthias Leopold matthias at aic.at
Thu Mar 27 13:06:01 UTC 2014

hi,

i have "a fairly standard" setup of a 3.3.1 powerdns server with mysql
backend on a centos 6 system. the server is acting as an authoritative
dns server and doing recursion for selected ip ranges.

the problem arises with subdomains of authoritative domains who should
be delegated to other nameservers.

records table looks like this

mysql> select domain_id, name,type, content from records where domain_id
= 36 and type = 'NS';
+-----------+-----------------------+------+-------------------+
| domain_id | name                  | type | content           |
+-----------+-----------------------+------+-------------------+
|        36 | abc.at                | NS   | ns1.abc.at        |
|        36 | abc.at                | NS   | ns2.abc.at	       |
|        36 | subd.abc.at           | NS   | ns3.abc.at        |
|        36 | subd.abc.at           | NS   | ns4.abc.at        |

when i query ns1.abc.at for www.subd.abc.at i get answers with correct
authority section, but no answer for www.subd.abc.at.

dig answer flags are
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

a bind9 server on ns2.abc.at, which acts as slave, resolves
www.subd.abc.at correctly.

the problem is not the configured recursor, which also resolves
www.subd.abc.at correctly.

can someone point me in the right direction?

thx
matthias