[Pdns-users] Duplicate RRs in records table

Thu Jul 3 10:09:40 UTC 2014

Hi.

I think we found the cause for the problem (but no solution yet). It
seems the problem happens only during the first zone transfer, when
there are no RRs in the records table yet. See the following log messages:

1. The zone is inserted into the domains table as type=SLAVE

2. We execute "pdns_control retrieve example.com" to initiate immediatly
a zone transfer

05:25:09 pdns[23463]: No serial for 'example.com' found - zone is missing?
05:25:09 pdns[23463]: Initiating transfer of 'example.com' from remote
'1.2.3.4'

It seems this caused PowerDNS to put the zone transfer into its work-queue

Some seconds later, the periodic zone check finds out that the zone is
stale and also queues a zone transfer

05:25:13 pdns[23463]: Domain 'example.com' is stale, master serial
2014063000, our serial 0
05:25:13 pdns[23463]: Initiating transfer of 'example.com' from remote
'1.2.3.4'
05:25:13 pdns[23463]: No serial for 'example.com' found - zone is missing?
05:25:13 pdns[23463]: AXFR started for 'example.com'
05:25:13 pdns[23463]: Transaction started for 'example.com'
05:25:14 pdns[23463]: No serial for 'example.com' found - zone is missing?
05:25:14 pdns[23463]: AXFR started for 'example.com'
05:25:14 pdns[23463]: Transaction started for 'example.com'
05:25:14 pdns[23463]: AXFR done for 'example.com', zone committed with
serial number 2014063000
05:25:14 pdns[23463]: AXFR done for 'example.com', zone committed with
serial number 2014063000

As you see, the zone is fetched 2 times concurrently. The second
transaction starts before the first transaction is finished.

Thus, there are 2 concurrent transactions:

                T1                            T2
             BEGIN
             DELETE FROM records ....
             INSERT into records ....
                                       BEGIN
                                       DELETE FROM records ....
                                       INSERT into records ....
             COMMIT
                                       COMMIT

Now, the zone is inserted twice into the records table.

The problem happens only on the first transfer. For further transfers,
e.g. caused by NOTIFYs, there are already RRs in the records table and
the DELETE will delete rows. Therefore the DELETE will cause a lock on
the respective rows which will cause all concurrent transfers which will
also delete this rows to be locked out until the first transaction is
finished.

During the first zone transfer, the DELETE will not delete any rows.
Thus, there aren't any locks on the table and both transactions will
succeed.

I also tried setting the transaction isolation level to 'serializable'
but the problem persists.

I think there is no nice solution to this problem in the database. A
workaround would be to create a key on records(domain_id,type,content)
to avoid identical RRs via a table constraint (are identical RRs allowed?).

Otherwise, I think, there would be some other locking mechanism required
which has to be implemented in PowerDNS.

So, what do you think? Shall I file a bug report?
Thanks
Klaus