[Pdns-users] Wildcards not behaving the same in v3.x

Billy blanco0303 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 07:29:52 UTC 2014

I'm trying to make the transition from v2.9 to v3.x but am running into issues regarding wildcards.

Here's an example of the query logic being used for both versions:

mysql> select id,domain_id,name,type from records where name = 'testdomain.com';
+----------+-----------+-----------+------+
| id       | domain_id | name      | type |
+----------+-----------+-----------+------+
| 37216424 |   2119933 | testdomain.com | MX   |
| 37216397 |   2119933 | testdomain.com | NS   |
| 37216398 |   2119933 | testdomain.com | NS   |
| 52774643 |   2119933 | testdomain.com | SOA  |
| 47269400 |   2119933 | testdomain.com | TXT  |
+----------+-----------+-----------+------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

v2.9:
Query    select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where name='testdomain.com'
Query    select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where type='SOA' and name='testdomain.com'
Query    select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where name='*.com'

v3.3:
Query     select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where type='SOA' and name='testdomain.com'
Query     select content,ttl,prio,type,domain_id,name from records where name='testdomain.com' and domain_id=2119933

In version 2.9, when I query for testdomain.com's A record, pdns checks it's zone, doesn't find an A rr or wildcard label and then moves up the tree and finds and returns the wildcard entry I have setup in the 'com' zone.

In version 3.x, pdns only checks what's in testdomain.com's zone, doesn't find the A rr or wildcard and returns with an empty response. I know this is related to rfc guidelines, but for now I need to retain the old behavior. I tried the pipe backend via a perl script, but the amount of dns traffic proved to be too great and severely affected performance.

Hoping someone here has faced a similar issue and can provide a solution.

Thanks,

Billy