[Pdns-users] pdns-recursor cache settings

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Tue Feb 25 09:18:37 UTC 2014

Hello Tomasz,

(already answered in private mail, repeating here for the archives)

On 22 Feb 2014, at 15:58 , Tomasz Kawalec <kawalec.tomasz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Little errata:
>
> How can I interpret these example settings with `threads` set to 4?
> a) max-cache-entries = 4000000
> b) max-packetcache-entries = 1000000
>
> Means:
> a) Each thread will have the limit of 4000000 entries or 1000000 entries?
> b) Each thread will have the limit of 1000000 entries or 250000 entries?
>
> ===
> What tried to ask is if with 4 threads if I set:
> a) max-cache-entries = 4000000 (4M)
> b) max-packetcache-entries = 1000000 (1M)
>
> I will get 16M max-cache-entries or 4M max-cache-entries?
> I will get 4M max-packetcache-entries or 1M max-cache-entries?

The max-*-entries settings are per thread. So, threads=4 and max-cache-entries=4M
will yield you a total of 16M entries, but there will be a lot of overlap between those 4
sets!

Note that the numbers in the documentation are guidance, and your experience may
vary. Benchmarking is always best!

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk