[Pdns-users] Issues with DB upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Dec 22 12:03:58 UTC 2014

Hello Chuyen,

On 17 Dec 2014, at 5:30 , Chuyen Vo <vdchuyen at live.com> wrote:

> As we have some name-servers running 3.3 and we are rolling out testing upgrade to 3.4. I followed the instruction DB schema here: http://doc.powerdns.com/md/authoritative/upgrading/
>
> When we add more fields such as ordername with size:
> ALTER TABLE records ADD ordername VARCHAR(255) BINARY DEFAULT NULL;
>
> MySQL will encounter error:
>
> ERROR 1118 (42000) at line 6: Row size too large. The maximum row size for the used table type, not counting BLOBs, is 65535. You have to change some columns to TEXT or BLOBs
>
> So you should update the upgrade document such as:
>
> ALTER TABLE records MODIFY content VARCHAR(62000) DEFAULT NULL;
>
> to prevent MySQL row-size limit itself.

Is it possible you have some extra columns (more than our schema mentions) that make you go over the limit? Or alternatively, is it possible your ‘type’ column is very wide currently? Please show us your existing schema if you can.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/