[Pdns-users] Column length too big for column 'content'

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Thu Apr 17 11:09:02 UTC 2014

Hello Wijatmoko,

On 17 Apr 2014, at 13:02 , Wijatmoko U. Prayitno <koko at crypto.my.id> wrote:

> I'm trying to create table using schema from:
> http://doc.powerdns.com/html/generic-mypgsql-backends.html
>
> Mysql refuse to create it with the following error:
> ERROR 1074 (42000) at line 15: Column length too big for column 'content' (max = 21845); use BLOB or TEXT instead

This is caused by your default encoding/charset apparently being UTF-8, which requires MySQL to reserve 3 bytes per character. Switching to a simpler encoding will make the error go away.

TEXT will also work, but I’m unsure whether this has performance implications.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/