[Pdns-users] pdns slave

Ruben Laban r.laban+lists at ism.nl
Tue Nov 26 13:56:16 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 22-5-2012 7:58, Emiel van Berlo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have setup a PowerDNS 3.1 server and have added a slave zone.
> The master is on a windows 2008 dns.
>
> There is some confusion with the SOA.
>
> In PowerDNS the SOA from the slave zone has this value :
>
> ns2.danego.net. noc.danego.net. 2010110341 28800 1800 86400 86400
>
> We read this warning from the manual about the record types:
> http://doc.powerdns.com/types.html
>
> "...Hostnames are NEVER terminated with a dot..."
>
> The slaved MX / CNAME records don't have this terminated dot in the database.
>
> And when we setup a Master or Native domain we create a SOA like this
> ns2.danego.net noc at danego.net 2010110341 28800 1800 86400 86400
>
> Is it safe to use PowerDNS as a slave when the SOA isn't correctly formatted?
> Is the manual outdated and are these trailing dots no longer an issue?

I just ran into the very same issue. Only in our case the (super)masters
are BIND instead of Windows Server. Everything *seems* to be working
just fine, but that big nasty warning does make for a nasty gut feeling.
We haven't put this into production, yet. So it would be really nice if
someone from the PowerDNS team (or atleast someone who knows more about
that warning) could comment on this ;-)

Regards,
Ruben Laban