[Pdns-users] lua-prequery-script in production?

bert hubert bert.hubert at netherlabs.nl
Wed May 29 08:38:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 10:10:23AM +0200, Elena Zwetkow wrote:
> is see that lua-prequery-script is still marked with "Not for production use!" in version 3.3.
> Is there a reason generally not to use lua-prequery-script in production?

Hi Elena,

Unlike our other Lua features, which are stable, supported and documented,
the PowerDNS Authoritative Prequery functionality is not.

We use the prequery script to generate deliberately broken and weird answers
for regression testing purposes.

Because of this current 'internal only' use, we may change the API of this
functionality if we need to.

However, should it turn out that there are external users of the
lua-prequery-script in production, we might change our position and document
this feature, and keep it stable.

Can you let us know?

Meanwhile, we've upgraded the documentation so it now says:

                Lua script to run before answering a query. This is a
                feature used internally for regression testing. The API of
                this functionality is not guaranteed to be stable, and is in
                fact likely to change.
Kind regards,

Bert