[Pdns-users] Oracle backend connection string.

a b tripivceta at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 27 20:20:23 UTC 2013

> The point is to use instantclient libs, not the server libs, as intended.

Ah, so. I always avoid instant client libraries, because they were never linked correctly, libtclntsh.so cannot find libnnz.so because Oracle does not link with the $ORIGIN linker keyword. If they did that, instant client libraries would be great. As they are, they require one to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is a nasty, nasty hack which we absolutely refuse to do.

So what I end up doing is installing the Oracle RDBMS in our software stack prefix, which causes the installer to link libclntsh.so with libnnz.so correctly. Then I patch the relevant Makefile from Oracle to include the $ORIGIN keyword, and relink.

Finally, I grab libclntsh.so and libnnz.so, package them up separately and make the Oracle package depend on the client libraries' package.

> And at least on my devsystem, the instantclient-devel package installs
> under /usr/include. Ofcourse it might make some sense to add it to the list.

How strange that they would do such a thing, since it violates all those standards, one of which is their own!