[Pdns-users] PowerDNS capabilities

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Sun Mar 17 14:20:01 UTC 2013

Hello Ron,

On Mar 16, 2013, at 19:56 , Ron Tsoref wrote:

> I'm just checking out PowerDNS' capabilities and I'm not sure about something --
>
> Is it possible to serve DNS queries with PowerDNS this way? :
>
> PowerDNS checks for the requester's IP.  If its IP range is found - serve a certain record from a MySQL database.  If not - PowerDNS will serve a general, country-based answer from the MySQL database (simple Geo resolution).

The BIND and SQL backends cannot do this. The Geobackend can do this natively (but it has some limitations). The Lua, Pipe and Remote backends can do this if you write a script. A Google search might give you a couple.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/