[Pdns-users] Problem with how PowerDNS answers when not authoritative.

Fredrik Dahlberg drabantus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 14:42:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Peter van Dijk <peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
> wrote:

> > Microsoft DNS (6.1):
> > ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 42689
> > ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
> >
> > BIND (9.8.4):
> > ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 57604
> > ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
>
> I would love to see the full output for both of these, especially the
> ADDITIONAL record.

I cut it down so as not to expose the customer. I believe the ADDITIONAL
was EDNS0, but I can't reproduce these answers now that we have made the
change in configuration. I'm going set up some test servers, both with the
exact version we used (
http://www.monshouwer.eu/download/3rd_party/pdns-server/el6/x86_64/) and
some other versions, and see if I can reproduce it.

Either your MSDNS and BIND both have bugs (unlikely) or something weird is
> happening. The empty NOERROR from PowerDNS is not known to cause these
> issues.

I guess I could delegate a test zone to someone else's PowerDNS server and
try this out for myself. Weird if it has been tested and didn't cause any
problems.

//Fredrik