[Pdns-users] turn off all type of caching in pdns-recursor

Posner, Sebastian s.posner at telekom.de
Wed Jun 19 12:34:06 UTC 2013

Aki Tuomi wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 10:14:56AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:18:42AM +0300, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> > > Another method that has been used has been to setup a record like
> > >
> > > *.monitoring.example.com IN A 127.0.0.1
> > >
> > > and then ask stuff like dig "`date +%s`.monitoring.example.com"
> >
> > Neat idea. Does this do a significantly better job than setting up
> > monitoring.example.com with a short TTL?
> >
> > Greetings
> > Marc
> >

> The point is to ensure that cache is always bypassed, despite recursor
> settings. This way you don't have to setup separate monitorning
> recursor as you can always ask for a fresh name, and you know it'll
> get asked and not cached. Short TTL can be overriden by DNS server.
>
> Aki Tuomi

CMIIW, but I understand Alex doesn't want to monitor _his_ authoritative
nameservers' performance/availability, but that of the resolver his
upstream provides him with, and/or get a "general" heatmap of the state
of DNS on teh intartubes.
Whilst for monitoring _your_ zones' availability, this approach is a
good idea, it is not feasible for domains you do not control^^

regards,

Sebastian