[Pdns-users] bind slave to PowerDNS not working.

John Miller johnmill at brandeis.edu
Tue Jun 18 03:58:01 UTC 2013

Hello,

Is the name change you're referring to the "db-n5Bia3fZ" file?  If so,
that's not a zone name, but a journal file that BIND uses for dynamic
updates and incremental zone transfers.

At this point, don't worry about BIND itself at all.  Just log into your
slave nameserver and run

dig @master-ns test.com AXFR

does the zone transfer come across properly?  If so, then your problem's in
your BIND config.  This isn't bind-users at lists.isc.org, so won't go into
any more BIND details here, but at least be sure that you have the
test.comzone defined in your named.conf.

If the transfer doesn't come across properly, then post your PowerDNS
config and we can help you further.

John

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM, mpatel at broadsoft.com
<mpatel at broadsoft.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a newly created zone in PowerDNS using PowerAdmin GUI named
> test.com.
> When I slave this zone to bind server. The file name gets changed. This
> happens only with zones that are newly created on PowerDNS.
>
> server1 /var/named/slave # touch test.com
> server1 /var/named/slave # chown named:named test.com
> server1 /var/named/slave # ls -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 named named 0 Jun 17 17:11 test.com
> server1 /var/named/slave # /etc/init.d/named restart
> Stopping named: . [ OK ]
> Starting named: [ OK ]
> server1 /var/named/slave # ls -l
> -rw-r--r-- 1 named named 0 Jun 17 17:11 db-n5Bia3fZ
>
> server1 /var/named/perf_slave # dig @(ip of PowerDNS server) test.com axfr
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.7.3-P3-RedHat-9.7.3-8.P3.el6_2.2 <<>> @10.64.1.11 test.comaxfr
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options: +cmd
> test.com.               86400   IN      SOA     2013061803. 28800. 7200
> 604800 86400 604800 3600
> test.test.com.          3600    IN      A       10.xx.xx.xx
> test.com.               86400   IN      SOA     2013061803. 28800. 7200
> 604800 86400 604800 3600
> ;; Query time: 17 msec
> ;; SERVER: 10.64.1.11#53(10.64.1.11)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Jun 17 17:53:43 2013
> ;; XFR size: 5 records (messages 3, bytes 245)
>
> Could someone be able to tell me what could be the issue? Thank you in
> advance.
>

> --

John Miller
Systems Engineer