[Pdns-users] Power Dns Server As A Domain Name Registry(Parent Name Server)

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Jul 24 04:22:53 UTC 2013

You're making several mistakes in setting up your delegation.  First
you've included an SOA in your PowerDNS records.  Start Of Authority
is exactly that.  The etc zone needs to have only NS records and (if
necessary) A glue records inside of the delegating server. The PDNS
server is being given a record that indicates *IT* has authority for
the forum.etc zone.  Secondly you delegate to ns1.forum.etc but
forum.etc has ns1. as it's listed delegate, which would be a
zone/record that would not exist.  Either add glue, or change that to
correctly read ns1 or ns1.forum.etc. (note the trailing dot, VERY
important)  The PDNS server may also need an SOA for etc as well as
depending on the resolver/resolver lib being used you might even need
to have delegation in your PDNS for . (the root).