[Pdns-users] SRV records with jpower admin

ktm at rice.edu ktm at rice.edu
Fri Jul 12 13:02:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 01:47:40PM +1000, Luca Salvatore wrote:
> Erm.. struggling to understand that description.
> I need to add this:
>
> Name _sipfedls._tcp
> Ttl 3600
> Priority 5
> Weight 0
> Port 5555
> Target sip.me.com
>

> How can i format that for PDNS or Jpower Admin?
>
> Luca Salvatore
> Senior Network & Security Engineer

Hi Luca,

>From widipedia, the format of a SRV record is:

_service._proto.name. TTL class SRV priority weight port target.

service: the symbolic name of the desired service.
proto: the transport protocol of the desired service; this is usually either TCP or UDP.
name: the domain name for which this record is valid, ending in a dot.
TTL: standard DNS time to live field.
class: standard DNS class field (this is always IN).
priority: the priority of the target host, lower value means more preferred.
weight: A relative weight for records with the same priority.
port: the TCP or UDP port on which the service is to be found.
target: the canonical hostname of the machine providing the service, ending in a dot.

Here is what the PDNS docs say:

SRV records can be used to encode the location and port of services on a domain name.
When encoding, the priority field is used to encode the priority. For example,
'_ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.conaxis.ch SRV 0 100 389 mars.conaxis.ch' would be encoded with
0 in the priority field and '100 389 mars.conaxis.ch' in the content field.

So for you example, these are the fields stored in the DB:

name - _sipfedls._tcp
ttl - 3600
prio - 5
content - '0 5555 sip.me.com.'  # without the quotes

Double-check results with dig.

Regards,
Ken