[Pdns-users] Issue with subdoamin delegation and AFXR

Luca Salvatore Luca at ninefold.com
Thu Jul 25 23:03:06 UTC 2013

I have hit a very weird issue that I need help me.

So, I'm trying to delegate a subdomain from my PDNS server to my slaves.
I have the parent domain delegated without any problems at all.
Let's call the domain 'annoying.com'

I can delegate the parent domain annoying.com with no issues. The records look like this:

| name             | type | content                                                              |
+------------------+------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| annoying.com      | SOA  | ns0.ninefold.com hostmaster.annoying.com 7 10800 3600 604800 3600     |
| annoying.com      | NS   | ns3.ninefold.com                                                     |
| annoying.com      | NS   | ns4.ninefold.com

Now i want to create test.anoying.com and delegate that to the same servers as above.  So now my records look like this:
| name             | type | content                                                              |
+------------------+------+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| annoying.com      | SOA  | ns0.ninefold.com hostmaster.annoying.com 7 10800 3600 604800 3600     |
| annoying.com      | NS   | ns3.ninefold.com                                                     |
| test.annoying.com | NS   | ns3.ninefold.com                                                     |
| test.annoying.com | NS   | ns4.ninefold.com                                                     |

But this does not work.  In the pdns log file I get errors

AXFR of domain 'test.annoying.com' initiated by 'ns3.ninefold.com'
AXFR of domain 'test.annoying.com' failed: not authoritative

So why can I delegate the parent domain, but not a subdomain?

Thanks