[Pdns-users] Record delegation to 3rd party NS

ivan_i at vvpgroup.com ivan_i at vvpgroup.com
Thu Jan 31 09:34:50 UTC 2013

Hi Aki,

dig @212.47.212.211 jabber.vvpgroup.com A

will NOT give you any answer about A record.

So you may get Info about NS serving jabber.vvpgroup.com, but you will not get info about A-record.

On 31.01.2013 13:29, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> Um.
>
> % dig @212.47.212.211 jabber.vvpgroup.com
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    300     IN      NS      ns3.p27.dynect.net.
> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    300     IN      NS      ns4.p27.dynect.net.
> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    300     IN      NS      ns1.p27.dynect.net.
> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    300     IN      NS      ns2.p27.dynect.net.
>
> This looks just fine to me.
>
> Aki
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 01:21:19PM +0400, ivan_i at vvpgroup.com wrote:
>> Hi Aki and James,
>>
>> Yes, now jabber.vvpgroup.com works, but that's because I've rolled back to old BIND9 installation.
>>
>> If you do "dig @212.47.212.211jabber.vvpgroup.com" you will see the real sad picture.
>>
>> It looks like gMySQL backend does not support record delegation to 3rd-party NS at all.
>> I mean gMySQL backend can resolve only its own records, if record is
>> outside MySQL, it will not be resolved by gMySQL backend.
>>
>> Currently I see only one way to deal with delegated records: create a pipe backend based
>> "resolver" that will resolve delegated records by directly querying DynECT servers.
>>
>> And James, yes, I've read documentation, my monkey-actions around zone types were
>> caused more by despair than by ignorance. Really :)
>>
>> Thanks for a great discussion, folks!
>>
>> On 30.01.2013 20:19, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>>> I checked with dig.
>>>
>>> ~$ dig jabber.vvpgroup.com
>>> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    54      IN      A       89.219.152.4
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> dig ns jabber.vvpgroup.com
>>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>>> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    205     IN      NS      ns3.p27.dynect.net.
>>> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    205     IN      NS      ns1.p27.dynect.net.
>>> jabber.vvpgroup.com.    205     IN      NS      ns4.p27.dynect.net.

--
Best Regards
Ivan Ilves
ivan_i at vvpgroup.com