[Pdns-users] pdns 3.2-rc* MySQL Connection Limit

shthead lists at shthead.com
Thu Jan 10 04:20:07 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am giving the static 3.2-rc1-1-amd64 package a go for the TinyDNS
support (which seems to work fine from my testing). I launch multiple
instances of PowerDNS and use the generic MySQL backend and I noticed
that a single instance seems to chew up all available MySQL connections.
When I went back to 3.1 the connections returned back to normal. I am
wondering if there is a configuration option that lets me limit the
number of connections?

As an example here is my config that spawns a lot of connections with
3.2 but not 3.1:

allow-recursion=127.0.0.1
cache-ttl=20
config-dir=/etc/powerdns
daemon=yes
disable-axfr=yes
disable-tcp=no
distributor-threads=16
guardian=yes
launch=gmysql
lazy-recursion=yes
local-port=53
logfile=/var/log/pdns.log
master=no
max-tcp-connections=30
module-dir=/usr/lib/powerdns
receiver-threads=16
send-root-referral=yes
setgid=pdns
setuid=pdns
socket-dir=/var/run
use-logfile=yes
webserver=no

gmysql-dnssec
gmysql-user=pdns
gmysql-password=pdns
gmysql-dbname=pdns
gmysql-socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

The config was used on a fresh install of Debian squeeze with a new
database to test.

When I up the number of connections for MySQL to let it open as many as
it wants it seems to max out at 514.

I upgraded to test on the latest 3.2-rc4-1-amd64 package with the same
config as above (a couple of lines had to be commented such as
lazy-cursion and logfile) but that appears to have the same issue.

Thanks