[Pdns-users] In pdns.conf loglevel=9 is not increasing log level?

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Mon Feb 4 23:22:30 UTC 2013

Hello,

We have 6 power authoritative DNS servers that are currently in testing
before they are cut over to production.  One of them quite frequently stops
working altogether and has to be restarted (the pdns service).  They are
all running on identical hardware with identical operating system
installations.  They are all using the same pdns CentOS package
(pdns-recursor-3.3-1.x86_64).  I have logging to local0 turned on and I see
the logs in /var/log/pdns.log on all the machines.  Syslog (actually
rsyslog) is logging local0.* to this file.

The problem is…
When increasing the log level by adding "loglevel=9"
to /etc/powerdns/pdns.conf nothing changes.  The logging appears to be the
same.  I was hoping to get a ton of output and hopefully catch, within the
next few days, why it stops responding.  The web UI and TCP/UDP queries all
stop working for some reason.  There's no other problem that would indicate
it might be part of this.  A simple restart of the daemon does the trick.

Thanks for reading and any advice you may be able to offer.

--
Landon Stewart <LStewart at Superb.Net>
Sr. Administrator