[Pdns-users] Erroneous NXDOMAIN from Ebay triggered by EDNS extra info

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Dec 29 14:48:40 UTC 2013

> That's because you should not be touching these settings. In fact it is
> currently documented as "pdns_recursor.cc:    ::arg().setSwitch(
> "disable-edns", "Disable EDNS - EXPERIMENTAL, LEAVE DISABLED" )= """.
>
> For now, everyone should be leaving these settings to their default values
> since, as you observe, things break if you touch them.

The problem with leaving the seetings at their default values is that
I'm getting significant feedback from some of my users that they expect
larger packet sizes to work, e.g.  via

	https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/replysizetest

which means EDNS.

I could try to do this with PowerDNS - or I could simply accept that
I need to run BIND to get EDNS to work, and probably throw some more
hardware at the problem. I'd prefer to give PowerDNS a chance :-)

> It turns out that the internet still (2013) requires careful probing before
> using EDNS.

No disagreement there.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no