[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Delegation (SmartConnect Isilon)

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Dec 13 16:18:10 UTC 2013

So there is no A record for labisilon.lab.example.com in the pdns01 name
server? (What's the dig output when you request the A record for the
delegated domain?)
Michael,

You are correct - my typo - it is labisilon (not simply isilon).

When I do “dig @pdns01 NS labisilon.lab.example.com" I get the following:

$ dig @psl-pdns01 ns pslisilon.lab.securustech.net

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> @psl-pdns01 ns pslisilon.lab.securustech.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;labisilon.lab.example.com. IN NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
labisilon.lab.example.com. 900 IN NS lab-isilon.lab.example.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
lab-isilon.lab.example.com. 900 IN A x.x.x.x

;; Query time: 59 msec

I don’t believe the records are overlapping according to this output but
please correct me if I’m wrong on this.

--
Drew Decker
Sent with Airmail <http://airmailapp.com/tracking>

On December 13, 2013 at 12:35:02 AM, Michael Loftis
(mloftis at wgops.com<//mloftis at wgops.com>)
wrote:

Is the delegated zone isilon or labisilon? I think you need to check the A,
and NS records as you've mixed them up even in the email there. I would
delegate a completely different sub domain than I would name the A record
just to avoid such confusion, it sounds like you've got an NS and A records
for the same name, which is why you're getting the static A record from
powerdns.

In your typed example you are using labisilon as the sub domain and
lab-isilon as the A record and NS delegation...  What does dig NS
labisilon.lab.example.com @1.2.3.4 give you? (Replace 1.2.3.4 with the pdns
auth server ip address) you should get back two records, one NS type
pointing to lab-isilon and one A type giving the address to send UDP/TCP
queries to.

Sounds like that's where the problem is still. Your delegation shouldn't
have any overlapping A records.... labisilon should be just an NS which
points to lab-isilon, otherwise you get the behavior you described. Which
is a broken delegation.