[Pdns-users] PowerDNS Delegation (SmartConnect Isilon)

Drew Decker drewrockshard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 19:57:12 UTC 2013

** This time I'm replying to all - sorry **

John,

Thanks for the response.  They are internal nameservers, so you won't be
able to query them. Let me send you some configuration data:

allow-recursion=0.0.0.0/0
launch=gmysql
gmysql-host=z.z.z.z
gmysql-user=pdns
gmysql-password=pdns
gmysql-dbname=pdns
local-address=x.x.x.x
log-dns-queries=yes
logging-facility=0
loglevel=9
recursor=y.y.y.y
module-dir=/usr/lib64
socket-dir=/var/run/pdns-server
setuid=powerdns
setgid=powerdns

As for the items created - our main zone is "lab.domain.com"

dig @pdns01 lab.domain.com axfr
---- filtered out for just the two items ----
labisilon.lab.domain.com. 900 IN NS lab-isilon.lab.domain.com.
lab-isilon.lab.domain.com. 900 IN A w.w.w.w

The above output is from the axfr from dig.  As for the MySQL records:

id domain_id name type content ttl prio change_date
75732 261 labisilon.lab.domain.com NS lab-isilon.lab.domain.com 900 NULL
1386183853
75733 261 lab-isilon.lab.domain.com A w.w.w.w 900 NULL 1386183853

And when I try to ping the record:

ping labisilon.lab.securustech.net
ping: unknown host labisilon.lab.domain.com

Let me know your thoughts.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM, John Miller <johnmill at brandeis.edu> wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> If all you need are an NS record and an A record, PowerDNS will work just
> fine.
>
> If you've already created your records, please post your config, how to
> reproduce the problem, and any records you've already created.  That way we
> can query your nameservers and see what's what.
>
> John
>

> On 12/04/2013 02:18 PM, Drew Decker wrote:
>
>> We are currently wanting to implement Isilon's SmartConnect features,
>> which requres a delegation (NS) record to the Isilon.  Unfortunately,
>> their documentation only covers BIND and Microsoft DNS products.  Is
>> there a way to do the same thing in PowerDNS?  If so, what is the
>> correct way?
>>
>> Per the documentation, it shows the following for BIND:
>>
>> -----
>> BIND server:
>> In BIND, a new name server (NS) record needs to be added to the existing
>> authoritative DNS zone specifying the server of authority for the new
>> sub-zone. For
>> that, an A record must be added, specified in the NS record that points
>> to the SIP
>> address of the cluster. For example, if the SmartConnect zone name is
>> cluster.example.com <http://cluster.example.com>, the DNS entries would
>> looks like:
>>
>>  >> cluster.example.com <http://cluster.example.com> IN NS
>> sip.example.com <http://sip.example.com>
>>  >> sip.example.com <http://sip.example.com> IN A {IP"address}
>>
>> -----
>>
>> Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work on our end - it says "hostname
>> not found" - but all other DNS records work for the parent domain on our
>> end - it is just this one that is not working.  Please let me know if
>> you'd like me to provide more information on the setup of our PowerDNS
>> servers.
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> Drew Decker