[Pdns-users] empty record on slave for dot in record-name (supermaster, mysql backend)

Marco Fretz marco.fretz at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 10:52:19 UTC 2013

Dear pdns-user members,

I'm using pdns successfully for years now. I really like the supermaster
feature and the mysql backend.
Yesterday we did a fresh installation (master and slave server) for a
customer and I encountered a strange behaviour. When ever I make a
record like this on the master (mysql fields name, type, content):

example.com SOA ns1.example.com hostmaster.example.com. 2013121001 28800
7200 604800 86400
www.subdomain.example.com A 10.10.10.10

then I get this on the slave in mysql:

example.com SOA ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com. 2013121001
28800 7200 604800 86400
www.subdomain.example.com A 10.10.10.10
subdomain.example.com NULL NULL

so why is this "subdomain.example.com" added?

I also see the same problem with ipv6 reverse zones, where lot of dots
are use in the name field. there for every dot I get an empty record
added on the slave.
Also I've to say, everything works as expected but the DB fills with
those NULL NULL records.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance,
best regards