[Pdns-users] synchronous retrieve

Mon Dec 2 14:43:43 UTC 2013

On 29.11.2013 14:55, Aki Tuomi wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 10:50:41AM +0100, Peter van Dijk wrote:
>> Hello Klaus,
>>
>> On Nov 29, 2013, at 10:39 , Klaus Darilion wrote:
>>
>>> Is it somehow possible to trigger a synchronous "retrieve" for a PDNS slave?
>>>
>>> Reason: In my external application I need to know if the transfer was successful. Just knowing that the "retrieval request was added" is not sufficient in this application.
>>

>> No, not currently. Retrieve just queues the retrieve and it is then picked up by the slave communicator thread.
>>
>> Feel free to file a feature request at https://github.com/PowerDNS/pdns/issues
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> --
>> Peter van Dijk
>> Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/
>>

> Can't your application monitor log file and wait until powerdns acknowledges
> transfer?

This is a workaround that might work. Another workaround that came in my
mind would be to use eg dig to transfer the zone and feed it into
PowerDNS with zone2sql. But I trust the internal zone transfer
capabilities pf PowerDNS much more than some external scripts. That why
it would be nice to have this feature inside PowerDNS.

I already openend a ticket for the feature request.

Thanks
Klaus