[Pdns-users] PowerDNS on BeagleBoneBlack ARM® Cortex-A8

Beagle beagle at narnia.nl
Sun Dec 1 17:46:10 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I try to follow the hints from
http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/wiki/MailingLists with my question..

I'd like to try and use PowerDNS for the first time in my life, on a
BeagleBone Black [1] , which has a ARM CPU:

root at bbb:/usr/src# grep model /proc/cpuinfo
model name	: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7l)

It runs Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy on a microSDHC card. I want to use the
recursor software and had a look for it:

	apt-cache show pdns-recursor
	N: Can't select versions from package 'pdns-recursor'
	as it is purely virtual
	N: No packages found

which I think is strange, because when installing the package
pdns-server, apt says
	Suggested packages: pdns-backend pdns-recursor
I think I need software for the armhf architecture. I had a look at
launchpad.net [2] but it seems there is none for armhf. It seems to me
there is no package suitable for the BBB on the PowerDNS website [3].

Please advise.. is downloading/compiling the/from source the best way to
go for me on this platform?

[1] http://beagleboard.org/products/beaglebone%20black
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pdns-recursor
[3] https://www.powerdns.com/downloads.html