[Pdns-users] Installation PDNS Server auf Raspberry Pi (weezy)

Gerald orsn at pechoc.eu
Fri Aug 16 20:50:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have written all the steps I have done as well as possible in one file.

Here is my complete story, not for experts, but for people like me who
like to work step by step.

Installation of PDNS Recursor on Raspberry Pi
uname:
Linux gwebmaster 3.6.11+ #474 PREEMPT armv6l GNU/Linux
Debian_version: 7.1

I Installation of Package pdns-recursor

   The package was not available per apt-get so it was
   necessary to download source and compile it.

   1) cd work-dir
   2) su -
   3) apt-get install libboost-dev
   4) wget
http://downloads.powerdns.com/releases/pdns-recursor-3.5.2.tar.bz2
   5) tar -xjf pdns-recursor-3.5.2.tar.bz2
   6) cd pdns-recursor-3.5.2
   7) ./configure
   8) make all
      The message
      Warning: swp{b} use is deprecated for this architecture
      can be ignored.
   9) make install
  10) if there is no program CHKCONFIG
      apt-get install chkconfig
  11) chkconfig pdns-recursor on
  12) service pdns-recursor start

II Configuration of pdns-recursor

   The Configuration files are situated in
       /etc/powerdns

   1) cd /etc/powerdns
   2) cp recursor.conf-dist recursor.conf

   In case of the recursor can not start on the given port
   (default is 53) and another process also uses this port
   it is possible to choose another port or to create a
   new local network port.

   vi /etc/network/interfaces
   (or use another flat text editor)

   insert:
   auto lo:1

   iface lo:1 inet static
      address 127.0.0.2
      netmask 255.0.0.0
      network 127.0.0.0
      broadcast 127.255.255.255

    Store file and close the editor.
    Restart the network service:
    On the Raspberry it is a good idea to restart computer
    because after the STOP of the service, there is no possibility
    for another command while working via SSH connection.

    To restart the pdns-recursor use
      /etc/init.d/pdns-recursor restart

    Some maybe important parameters in the recursor.conf file:

      local-address=127.0.0.2,192.168.10.233
      query-local-address=192.168.10.233

    How to test if the process is running:
      /etc/init.d/pdns-recursor status

    Test if it works correctly:
      /etc/init.d/pdns-recursor stop  (if recursor is still running)
      /usr/sbin/pdns_recursor --daemon=no --trace=yes

    To make a query (initiated on the Raspberry Pi)
      $ dig facebook.com A @127.0.0.2

; <<>> DiG 9.8.4-rpz2+rl005.12-P1 <<>> facebook.com A @127.0.0.2
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;facebook.com.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
facebook.com.		900	IN	A	173.252.110.27

;; Query time: 436 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.2#53(127.0.0.2)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 16 22:32:57 2013
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 46
pi at gwebmaster ~ $

III  Switching to use the DNS Server of ORSN

    1) download from
       http://www.orsn.org/roothint/
    2) copy downloaded text to /etc/powerdns/orsn.hint
    3) change /etc/powerdns/recursor.conf
       hint-file=/etc/powerdns/orsn.hint
    4) Make again a trace to see if it works:
       /etc/init.d/pdns-recursor stop  (if recursor is still running)
       /usr/sbin/pdns_recursor --daemon=no --trace=yes
    5) Resytart pdns-recursor
       /etc/init.d/pdns-recursor restart

    All work is done.

2013-08-16 Gerald Pechoc