[Pdns-users] [pdns-recursor] RFC6303

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Tue Aug 13 16:13:46 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Posner, Sebastian <s.posner at telekom.de>wrote:

> Hi,

Hi Sebastian,

Does pdns currently implement RFC6303 ("Locally Served DNS Zones")?
> Couldn't find anything about it in the docs..
> If not, are there future plans to implement it?

Ah, thats even BCP163 now it seems.
There is a subset of the RFC6303 zones that gets served by PowerDNS
Recursor by default, which is configured via the serve-rfc1918 option [1].
So (4.1) checked.
Also there is code in the recursor that automatically serves localhost. <->
127.0.0.1 [2] which kind of makes me miss the IN AAAA ::1 RR there.
For the ones in RFC6303 that are missing one could load up a generic empty
zone via the auth-zones feature in the recursor. I have never seen too many
queries for those but of course your mileage may vary especially with the
emergence of IPv6 and it certainly is good style to keep load off the RIR
and IANA/ICANN Authoritatives.

best regards,

 Stefan

[1] http://doc.powerdns.com/html/built-in-recursor.html#recursor-settings