[Pdns-users] Ddns with powerdns

Stefan Schmidt zaphodb at zaphods.net
Tue Apr 16 12:57:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Blason rock <blason16 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,

Hello there,

> I m planning to setup ddns server for my organization. We are specifically
> setting this up for dvrs. Initially we used dyn dns but company is thinking
> of putting up their own ddns server in the datacentre.
>
> Can somone point me for good write up about implementing ddns with pdns?
> And first of all is ddns possible with pdns.

Well first things first: Yes it is entirely possible to achieve a
dyndns-style DNS Update Service with PowerDNS Server.
As for the dynamic dns update protocol (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS#RFC_2136_dynamic_DNS_update ) this
is not supported by pdns.

Secondly however i fear there is not much official documentation other than
the following:
http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/ticket/524
and documentation of such implementations although quite common according
to what i've heard on the web are scarce.
If you have done a bit of web programming however chances are that you
already know how to update a mysql database using a cgi (probably php)
script and do basic authentication before accepting anything from a
webclient.
Thats actually all you would need to update the IP address of an IN A
record in PowerDNS Server if you're using the gmysql backend.
http://doc.powerdns.com/html/generic-mypgsql-backends.html#idp9030464 gives
you indepth information on what PowerDNS asks the DB about and what the
table structure looks like.

For the change to be propagated immediately however you would have to
disable the caching PowerDNS deploys to prevent charging all it's query
load to the database. (
http://doc.powerdns.com/html/all-settings.htmlcache-ttl,
query-cache-ttl ).

 Stefan