[Pdns-users] Recursor fails to resolve domains

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Tue Apr 9 06:15:41 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Apr 8, 2013, at 16:51 , Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> Question is - how do I pass the config file as a parameter to the recursor in the above startup script (-c? -f) ? Maybe that is one of the problems I need to address. My assumption has been that I don't need to specify it anyway, since the path is built-in during compile.

Specifying during compile is broken - our apologies for that.

At run time, you can specify --config-dir to point to a specific dir. The config must be called recursor.conf inside that dir.

Can you try --config-dir and let me know whether that solves your issue for now?

> Correct me if I am wrong but it would appear that recursor ignores the CONFIGDIR directive when compiling. I have just checked this now by appending "...." and starting it using the init script in the source and it failed to start with:
>

> [root at jaribu] ~wash/Tools/PDNS/pdns-recursor-3.5-rc5# ./pdns-recursor.init.d start
> Starting PowerDNS recursing nameserver: Apr 08 17:48:30 Exception: Trying to set unexisting parameter '....'
>
> According to me, it should not be looking for this file in /etc/powerdns/, but rather the one in /usr/local/etc/pdns.

Yes, this is a bug. I will write a ticket about it.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/