[Pdns-users] Recursor fails to resolve domains

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 09:32:19 UTC 2013

I have a situation with pdns-recursor that I need help with.

I am running it on 127.0.0.1:53

My configuration is as below:

allow-from=192.168.0.0/16
#allow-from=
dont-query=
config-dir=/usr/local/etc/pdns
daemon=yes
quiet=yes
etc-hosts-file=/etc/hosts
export-etc-hosts=yes
forward-zones-recurse=.=196.200.16.2,.=196.200.16.27
local-address=127.0.0.1
local-port=53
log-common-errors=yes
logging-facility=0
socket-dir=/var/run/
threads=18
trace=on

Now, those two IPs listed in forward-zones-recurse are my ISPs DNS servers.
The problem is that whenever I do an nslookup for any domains whose DNS
records are handled by my ISP, including my ISPs domain name itself, I get
a failure. I however get success when I query for domains outside my ISPs
DNS servers:

Here are my test results:

[root at jaribu] /usr/local/etc/pdns# nslookup www.accesskenya.com
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 127.0.0.1, trying next server

[root at jaribu] /usr/local/etc/pdns# nslookup www.gmail.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.gmail.com   canonical name = mail.google.com.
mail.google.com canonical name = googlemail.l.google.com.
Name:   googlemail.l.google.com
Address: 173.194.34.117
Name:   googlemail.l.google.com
Address: 173.194.34.118

[root at jaribu] /usr/local/etc/pdns# nslookup gw.cmehtanbo.com
;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 127.0.0.1, trying next server

[root at jaribu] /usr/local/etc/pdns# nslookup gw.kictanet.or.ke
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   gw.kictanet.or.ke
Address: 62.8.64.102

Is it that my configuration is bungled or that of my ISP is? Or is this
something known?

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,