[Pdns-users] PowerDNS needs your thoughts on two important DNSSEC matters

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Tue Sep 4 18:50:33 UTC 2012

Hello Erkan,

On Sep 4, 2012, at 11:34 , erkan yanar wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 07:19:45PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:

>> OUR QUESTIONS:
>> 1b. Is VARBINARY the best way to do it for MySQL?
>
> Afaik you want only to have the ordering (collation) to be binary. So you have some ways to do it without touching the character set.
> 1. SELECT .. ORDER BY BINARY
>   Just change the Query

This, presumably, rules out index usage, which is bad.

> 2. ALTER TABLE records ADD order name      VARCHAR(255) BINARY
>   Then you don't care about the CHARSET used by the server.
>   This syntax always set the binary collation specific for that charset

This is a good tip I did not know about. I will look into this. The downside of VARBINARY is that queries also become case-sensitive, which is acceptable for PowerDNS but makes debugging harder. Thanks!

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/