[Pdns-users] PowerDNS needs your thoughts on two important DNSSEC matters

Peter van Dijk peter.van.dijk at netherlabs.nl
Mon Sep 3 19:15:03 UTC 2012

Hello,

On Sep 3, 2012, at 19:19 , Peter van Dijk wrote:

> OUR QUESTIONS:
> 1a. How do we tell Postgres to do "the right thing" for us, preferably in a way that does not force all users to do a dump/restore? We wouldn't mind an ALTER TABLE or the like!
> 1b. Is VARBINARY the best way to do it for MySQL?
> 1c. Should we cave in and encode ordername in some way that will sort reliably, regardless of database settings? Base64 perhaps? This does involve stretching ordername beyond 255 chars, which presumably is okay with all common versions of PG, My and SQLite3.

Great tips from #postgresql:
1.  ORDER BY col USING ~<~  - apparently undocumented, but it sorts the right way.
2.  ORDER BY convert_to(col, current_setting('server_encoding'))  - should also work, I have not tested it

1) can use indexes that use the text_pattern_ops opclass
2) could work with a functional index

Thanks to mastermind (#powerdns) for pointing me to the right folks in #postgresql. Keep those ideas coming!

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk
Netherlabs Computer Consulting BV - http://www.netherlabs.nl/